Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Laptop?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New Laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by billywyatt2 View Post
    I enjoy surfing the World Wide Web, I also used to like watching YouTube video's but that was before the monster called Google started using ads. My main enjoyment however is learning Python3 and JavaScript. So i am trying to find a new laptop that will allow me to continue with the activities mentioned above. The new laptop would have to have Ubuntu 24.04 LTS pre-installed, at least 16GB Memory and a 1TB SSD drive. Trouble is i only have £1000 to spend and that's it. Does anyone know where in the UK i could find such a laptop Please.
    You are severely limiting your options to requiring a preinstallation of Ubuntu.

I recommend buying a cheap Thinkpad and installing Ubuntu yourself, all you need is a flash drive. Wait for a sale because you can get a decent computer for way less than a grand.

Beans

TheFu, I'm not sure your generalizations on performance hold. I bought a 12th Generation i3 laptop to replace a 10th Generation i7 laptop that was having issues (which I since resolved and repurposed). I was expecting a slight performance hit, but found a significant performance increase (both having SSD drives). Checking benchmarks the reason was obvious. So in general I'd suggest looking at benchmark reporting sites to get a better idea of the performance difference between two devices.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by karyk View Post
    TheFu, I'm not sure your generalizations on performance hold. I bought a 12th Generation i3 laptop to replace a 10th Generation i7 laptop that was having issues (which I since resolved and repurposed). I was expecting a slight performance hit, but found a significant performance increase (both having SSD drives). Checking benchmarks the reason was obvious. So in general I'd suggest looking at benchmark reporting sites to get a better idea of the performance difference between two devices.
    Agreed. The general idea was for back of napkin thoughts. Always get the details before a purchase.

The specific CPU models matter, but so does the motherboard, RAM, GPU, environment, and other peripherals. Benchmarks aren't likely to be using the exact hardware we each have.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    You are severely limiting your options to requiring a preinstallation of Ubuntu.

I recommend buying a cheap Thinkpad and installing Ubuntu yourself, all you need is a flash drive. Wait for a sale because you can get a decent computer for way less than a grand.
    I obviously agree with your first point, since above I recommended converting an existing old computer.

As to your second point, I'm running Ubuntu on a netbook with a 6+ year old low end processor (N4000) and only 4GB of ram. It's fine for the uses the OP mentions, and I can't imagine how fast Ubuntu would be if I ran it on my Windows machine with a 13th Gen i5 processor. So yeah, WAY LESS than $1,000.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    The specific CPU models matter, but so does the motherboard, RAM, GPU, environment, and other peripherals. Benchmarks aren't likely to be using the exact hardware we each have.
    Agreed, although I'd note the two computers were very similar levels except the newer laptop obviously had faster memory (and more of it). The faster memory should have made some significant difference, but the reason I upgraded the amount of memory is it's the wife's machine and she tends to keep many many programs open at once. Drives me nuts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by karyk View Post
    So yeah, WAY LESS than $1,000.
    Last night I looked for a new laptop for myself on eBay. Found a number of 11-th Gen Core i5 13.3 inch Dells for less than $300. The ones I was considering were around $220. Just sayin'. It is amazing what we can get for so little money. I assume eBay is available in the UK too.

Over the decades, I think only Dell and Lenovo meet my needs for laptops. For a desktop, I was burned by pre-built systems and never plan to buy another the rest of my life. 30 minutes and a screwdriver to save $500+. That's a no-brainer for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Over the decades, I think only Dell and Lenovo meet my needs for laptops.
    +1

I get hand-me-down work laptops from my wife. Way back, a few dell and now the past few years Lenovo. Both brands work great with GNU/Linux

Not sure why the OP wants new and pre-installed Ubunut? You can get 2 year old hardware that is great for GNU/Linux, and have all you need and then some for a great price

I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite way back with a 65 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM (max) and I am amazed how fast this (over a decade) old machine is.

With Ubuntu, I have a fast modern OS on great hardware that has lasted over a decade
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12